The idea of “networking” has always been a bit cryptic. At least for those of us who aren’t born with the “networking gene”. As an artist, it’s an essential part of doing business, but if it doesn’t come naturally, what are you supposed to do when every business class tells you to go out and “network”? Just what the hell does that mean?
Enter Tracy Moore. Tracy built her business as a high school senior photographer, and has since evolved into shooting brand campaigns and teaching various aspects of photography in both her own classes and workshops and on stage at photography conferences and events.
Tracy is a networking goddess – she cultivates quality contacts and keeps them for years to come. It’s mesmerizing, and to someone like me who has difficulty networking, I just couldn’t wait to talk to her about it.
“There is not ‘perfect time’ to get started. If you spend your life waiting for that ‘perfect time,’ it’s never going to arrive!”
In this episode I have her answer my top networking questions:
- How do you approach someone at a networking event?
- What do you say to them to get the conversation started?
- What do you NOT say to them?
- How do you turn the conversation from light chit-chat to relevant business talk?
- What do you do if you strike out?
- What’s the best way to follow up after an interaction with someone?
- How do you gracefully pitch yourself?
- How do you keep in contact and facilitate the relationship over long distance without feeling like some weird stalker?
It was so insightful to learn how a natural networker’s brain works – as I am definitely not a natural networker!
Of course we also talk about what it’s like to be a working mother, how business changed after having a family, and which photography conferences Tracy recommends for best networking possibilities.
Hope you like the episode! If you do, don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE HERE and leave us a review on iTunes!
Connect With Tracy
Connect With Jenna